They have been there many times. Each time broken a little bit more by the experiences of insanity.
Most people disregard them. They see the side effects of a tortured life and wall up their heart’s to not seek out any wisdom gleaned through the suffering. They proudly say to themselves ‘What would they have to offer’?
A few years ago I determined to deeply listen to this person’s voice and what was lying hidden under the cluttered messy exterior. The nuggets that lay hidden were astounding. They had sat in the back row of existence while others had gained the limelight. They had watched, prayed, cried and remained silent.
Now I am not a big fan talent shows like ‘X-factor’ or ‘America’s got talent’ but I like the concept of taking someone with a hidden talent and bringing them out on to the world stage.
So using this metaphor I would encourage you to be a microphone for other people’s voices.
- Find the voice. There are many voices that are clamouring to be heard. Who are the people that are generally overlooked and disregarded? Their appearance or social skills may put others off from coming close to them.
- Listen to the voice. This step takes time. Listen to their story. Ask gentle questions sifting through the silt of experiences looking for the hidden gold nugget.
- Refine the voice. Take that nugget of wisdom, polish it with them, and write it down.
- Share the voice. You have in your hands a piece of voice gold. Share it to others. By your reading this blog, you obviously have some internet connections. With the persons permission put this wisdom into a post on your Blog, Facebook, Google+ etc. When you see some voice gold on Facebook hit the ‘Share’ button. Email your discovery to your friends. Tell me about it.
- Reward the voice. Here is the real cool part. Tell the person how their voice is being received by the world. It might be the number of page visits that their post is getting. The comments made etc. Most of my guest blogs and poems are from people who in general find their voice is disregarded. They get such a huge buzz and encouragement when I tell them how their post is being received. I have often seen this whole experience as a catalyst for further change and growth. So for you the reader I ask you to please leave comments and encourage others to visit the posts I put up. It encourages the heart voice of the writer.
- Maybe I was a leper?
- What fear forces me to do
- Peace making in the debris of a gambling addiction
- Why wouldn't God choose Rahab?
- In-valid Me
- There and back
Question’s to consider. What voices call for you to listen and be a microphone for? What’s stopping you listening to them?
Image: Stephen Henderson Creative Commons FlickrBlogger Labels: hospital,heart,wisdom,existence,talent,Listen,silt,gold,nugget,Refine,